Snow is nothing new, some would say. However, in Western Washington where a few inches of 'the wet stuff' can cause panic and pandemonium, people act as if it is the end of the world. As one popular meme states "2019 Seattle Snowmageddon."
Thursday night, as the reports were coming in, local school districts were already calling to tell parents that students would be released 2 hours early. As a teacher, who lives about 22 miles from my school, I was relieved that I was able to get home before the roads became too treacherous. Luckily, for once I did not procrastinate and I made it to the store last night to stock up on the essentails such as: eggs, milk, bread, icecream.
10 Ways to Avoid Boredom
Now that I am home, the reality is hitting me. I won't drive in the snow,( no 4-WD and no death wish) I don't have any snow gear so, that rules out the "going outside to play in the snow," which I wouldn't do anyway because I don't like snow. It's beautiful, to look at, from the window of my heated house. So I sit here thinking about how I will survive, possibly 5 days or more in my house without going stir crazy. Ergo, me sitting at the computer coming up with ways to avoid Boredom.
- Netflix and Chill ( not like that, but literally chill, it is snowing after all.) I could probably get by on Netflix alone, with as many things I have on my saved list. And, if I ever did run out of things to watch on Netflix, I would just log into one of my other streaming services, such as Hulu or Amazon Prime Videos.
- Marie Kondo my house ( you’ve heard of her, author of The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying Up.) If anyone needs to go through her house Marie Kondo style it’s me. Not only do I have way too much stuff, but I am also trying to get my house ready to sell.
- Board Games- We all have them, somewhere. Perhaps in that one closet that we avoid going into at all cost. But, underneath all that stuff, which you will be free from soon, you will probably find some of your old favorites: Monopoly, Life, perhaps even Twister. A good game of Monopoly could take several games to play if done right.
- Bond with your pets. I know my kitties miss me when I’m away. Now we can have the quality time we deserve.
- Did someone say Karaoke? No crowded bars needed, just search your favorite tune on YouTube and the words “karaoke version” and in no time you can be rocking your jam, in your jammies.
- Read a book, or two, or three. I don’t know about you but I accumulate books like bees accumulate nectar. I enjoy a multitude of genres, ranging from historical fiction to horror, Stephen King style.
- Pamper Yourself. The weather outside might be frightening, but you don’t have to be. Take a long hot bubble bath, give yourself a facial and a mani-pedi, get out the make-up and try some new looks.
- Go Shopping! Online, of course. Don’t let the icy roads keep you from buying those cute new shoes you have been looking for. With so many great online retailers, there is something for everyone. Take a look at eBay, if you look for auctions that are about to end, you might just walk away with a bargain.
- Get your craft on. If you are anything like me you probably have half-finished craft projects or a closet (or small room) filled with supplies for all of those projects you were going to get to someday. That day is now. Sew, Stamp, Paint, Bead, or Color a page in one of those intricate adult coloring books you got for Christmas two years ago.
- Nothing. Say what? That’s right. You don’t have to fill every minute of your waking day doing something. Take a nap, meditate, spend some quiet time with GOD. You’re a grownup, stuck in the house, you can do whatever you like.